New casual definition and casual conversion changes
New casual definition- new contract template
- There is a new definition of casual employee in the Fair Work Act. The definition provides more certainty for employers about casual employment.
- There is a new casual contract on the website which incorporates the new definition.
Employers are encouraged to use this template for all current casual employees and all new employees.
Casual conversion has changed
- There is a new pathway for casual employees to move to permanent employment.
- This is called casual conversion.
- The Pastoral Award 2020 will be varied on 27 September 2021 to incorporate these changes. The website will be updated when this is available.
Small businesses (requests by employees)
Employees of small businesses (less than 15 employees) can now make a request to convert their employment from casual to permanent in certain circumstances if they have been working as a casual for 12 months.
Large businesses (requests by employees)
Employees of large businesses (15 employees or more) can make a request after 27 September 2021 to convert their employment from casual to permanent in certain circumstances if they have been working as a casual for 12 months.
Large businesses (offers by employers)
Employers in large businesses also have to offer employees the opportunity to convert their employment to permanent after 27 September 2021 in certain circumstances if they have been working as a casual for 12 months.
Large businesses (asses and notify)
By 27 September 2021 employers in large businesses who have employees who have been working as a casual for 12 months or more must assess and determine whether they need to offer conversion from casual to permanent employment and give these employees notice of the decision.
Casual Employment Information Sheet
There is a new Casual Employment Information Statement which all small business employers must give to all casual employees now and all large businesses must give to all casual employees after 27 September 2021.
Visit the Employee section for detailed information about the changes.